Interfaces - Level 20 Crafting
Objects - Level 21-30 Crafting
Patches - Level 31-40 Crafting
Subroutines - Level 41-50 Crafting
A Red Code Fragment (Red Frag) is a drop-only item used in higher difficulty abilities and items. If the code fragment you're looking at doesn't have a red background, then it isn't a red frag.
Outside of abilities it's very simple.
- Clothing X -> Clothes
- Consumable X -> Consumables (Pills, Boosters, Stakes, etc.)
- Tool X -> Tools (Disguises, Launchers, and Tools)
- Weapon X -> Weapons
There is no all-over ability Red Frag, as each group (Awakened, Coder, Hacker, Operative) has its own Red Frag at each level. Meaning an Awakened X Red Frag would go to an Awakened ability and so on for Hacker, Coder, and Operative abilities.
Difficulties and Red Frag TypesEdit
Which Red Frag goes to which item follows the general rule for difficulties listed below.
- Diff. 01-15 needs none.
- Diff. 16-25 needs an Interface.
- Diff. 26-30 needs an Object.
- Diff. 31-40 needs a Patch
- Diff. 41-50 needs a Subroutine.
- A difficulty 28 Weapon would require a Weapon Object.
- A difficulty 40 Hacker Ability (like Logic Cannon 2.0 from Ballista) would need a Hacker Patch.
- Outside of letting you actually make the ability or write the code for the item, no. The Red Frags only allow you to make this high level item, they don't bestow anything special upon it.
- Higher level versions cannot be used No. If the recipe requires a Hacker Interface, you must use a Hacker Interface.
- As a natural follow-up, Red Frags cannot be combined to form higher-level ones and cannot be broken down into lower-level ones. Your Red Frags stay as is.
Looting Red FragsEdit
- They drop randomly (at a similar level) from enemies on missions. So no Subroutines off a level 31 Mero Karate Master or anything.
- Certain exile gangs only drop certain Red Frags.
First, make sure you are killing the right mobs for the Red Frags. I've killed the wrong gang many times in International before I started to memorize them from use.
Next, you need to understand that farming Red Frags is slow going. Expect maybe 4-10 Frags/hour depending on the gang and how fast you can kill them.
If you are killing the right ones, you'll want to kill bosses and the highest level/rank gang members you can find in the district for most frequent drops. Still, if you can kill them all in two or three shots, don't run around the district just killing Rank 3s as you will spend more time running around then actually killing gang members.
The Race to Find The OneEdit
It appears that the Red Frag drops are distributed across all Fake Agent (LED or N30) spawns around the same level. If the gang you need has been replaced by Fake Agents, your best bet is to still farm at the old area, but your Red Frag drops will be slightly more infrequent and random.
In summary, your time will be tougher if your mob has been replaced by Fake Agents, but it is still doable.